Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Fondant Roses for Easter




Last year on Easter, Mary and I went to the Roman games at the amphitheater in Nimes. I don’t know how many, if any, Christians were killed there, but it was an ironic way to spend the holiday that was my favorite for much of my life.

As a child, I loved Easter because we went to church, then over to Aunt Beryl’s for a whopper of an Easter egg hunt hosted by Uncle Paul. Their long, narrow back yard with a view of Dodger stadium, ran downhill in several terraces, making an adventure out of the hunt. All my family were happy on Easter, maybe because sugar and candy weren’t the main attractions as they are now. Our eggs were real, and turned into delicious deviled eggs after being found, another ironic twist.

Except for an Easter basket, the holiday was a no-present day. Christmas, by contrast, was stressful because of so many presents, most of which I didn’t like, or were just off the mark. Pretending to be enthusiastic takes its toll. Thanksgiving was nice, calm, but no egg hunting or new dresses were involved.

A new dress – that was a plus, definitely, for Easter. A new summery dress to wear to Sunday School and parties was a major big deal. It’s too bad that dressing up has become passé these days.

Flipping channels this evening, Judge Judy refused to listen to a young man who showed up in court wearing torn jeans. “Go get dressed,” she scolded him, “and don’t say a word.”


The idea I really wanted to share was Easter goodies. Shop windows in France were beautifully decorated with simple Easter themes except for the candy/pastry shops which went all out with glorious creations. It may have been the memory of these that inspired me to try my hand at using fondant for roses this week.

An amazing thing happened! When I told md (middle daughter) about my plan, she said that she had already started doing it for the first time ever, the day before! She was making fondant roses on cupcakes (I think) to give away for Easter presents. We shared tips and YouTube sites and then our own pictures. I am so happy with how they are coming out. I love the delicate texture and colors and the elegance.

Anyone receiving one can eat it (after a suitable interval for admiration) and it’s gone, poof. No knick-knack hanging around forever. A lovely token of love, given and received happily.

The only problem is being around all that sugar. I resisted tasting any of it for three days, but today I lost the battle. A lump of frosting in my tummy is unhappy. But the cookies are beautiful!

1 comment:

  1. Just got your link and loved you rose! Much to beautiful to eat! But, I bet they were devoured!

    ReplyDelete